Name: Meghan Keane
Title: Senior Associate
Time at CLS: 1.5 years
1. How did you get started in PR?
I moved to DC after graduation because I was interested in public policy careers. However, I soon found myself attracted to an internship at a strategic consulting firm that combined everything I loved about the political campaign atmosphere and international politics. With the encouragement of a manager at my internship, I applied to CLS to continue my experience in consulting and PR. I have since been involved in domestic issue campaigns, international accounts and areas like litigation and crisis communications that I might never have thought to pursue!
2. If you weren’t in the PR industry, what would you be doing?
3. What dream client/industry would you like to work with?
Issues related to women’s rights and political representation are close to my heart, and I would love the opportunity to work with an organization that seeks to promote women’s voices politically.
4. What is your favorite use of social media in PR?
I’ve really loved how some brands have embraced new and very visual platforms like Instagram and Snapchat to increase awareness and build a community around their product or message. Some accounts have really stood out to me, despite the fact that their content is not inherently photogenic: the North Face posts stunning photographs and videos of nature scenes, Nike Women posts workouts and motivational quotes and Michelle Obama posts healthy food from the White House garden and encouragement to exercise as part of her Let’s Move campaign to her millions of followers.
5. What has been a highlight moment in your career with CLS thus far?
I am still proud of the time I was able to place an op-ed with an influential publication in Malawi ahead of a key UN vote – and the next day, Malawi’s delegation switched its official stance to vote in favor of our client’s position.
6. What is your favorite DC social/night “spot”? Favorite place in DC?
Duke’s Grocery for delicious food and one of my favorite patios in DC, then Baked & Wired for dessert!
7. What was the last book you read?
Wild by Cheryl Strayed
8. Team Taylor or Team Katy?
Team Tay! We’re a strong group at CLS, and several of us recently went to Nationals Park to see her perform live.
9. If you can bring one fictional character from books, television or movies to life, who would you want to work with you at CLS?
Definitely Olivia Pope, the original DC “fixer.”
10. What’s on your bucket list?
Take a long hiking trip through part of the Pacific Crest Trail (see question #7), Appalachian Trail or up into the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota.